Corrosion is the process where the metal wears away, dissolves or is oxidized due to chemical reactions, mainly oxidation. It occurs whenever a gas or liquid chemically attacks an exposed metal surface. Corrosion is accelerated by warm temperatures and by acids and salts. Rust is a common corrosion product of Iron and steel. When iron or steel is exposed to an atmosphere containing oxygen, the natural process is for oxygen to react with the iron, forming rust which is iron oxide.
Corrosion failures occur in unexpected ways and unexpected times. The following links are investigations related to corrosion.
- Ammonia Pipe Failure
- Internal Pipe Corrosion Failure
- Fuel Nozzle Clip Failures
- Steel Door Corrosion Evaluation
- Natural Gas Distribution Line
- Pipeline Failure
- Pool Ceiling Collapse
- Rupture and Explosion of High Pressure Gas Cylinder
- Saltwater Corrosion
- Stray Current Corrosion of Copper Water Pipe
- Swimming Pool Corrosion Stain
- Water Pipe Failure
- Water Pipe Leak